Thursday, April 21, 2016
– The Earls of Leicester, the award-winning, all-star bluegrass sextet, will release its second album, "Rattle & Roar," on July 15 on Rounder Records.
The disc is the follow-up to the Earls' eponymous debut, which earned a Grammy award for Best Bluegrass Album. The band also went on to win six International Bluegrass Music Association awards, including Album of the Year and Entertainer of the Year honors.
Barry Bales, Shawn Camp, Charlie Cushman, Jerry Douglas, Johnny Warren and Jeff White worked up a fresh batch of Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs songs.
Douglas remains the producer and Dobroist; Camp handles lead vocals and guitar; multi-instrumentalist and sideman Jeff White now handles high harmony and mandolin; Nashville banjoist Charlie Cushman tackles banjo and guitars; Johnny Warren is on fiddle; and Bales, Douglas' longtime band mate in Alison Krauss and Union Station, sings and plays bass.
To capture the feel of a live show, the album was recorded in one room, with all of the band members in a line, no separation between them. "This is about as live as a record can be. I hope listeners can hear the fun that's going on," Camp said."They're listening to everything go down, right then, at that moment. A lot of music can be made in an instant."
"All I Want Is You" offers Camp a chance to croon. "Lester Flatt was sort of the Bing Crosby of this genre of music," Douglas says. "He could have been a big band singer. He sang the entire melody, all changes, augments--they didn't have to be whole notes. He really stretched, and so does Shawn. I love hearing him sing it."
Instrumentals including "Flint Hill Special" and "Buck Creek Gal" are spirited back-and-forths."You can't pretend or fake your way through this stuff," Camp said. "It's got to be right, or it's wrong. And when we play together, it's right."
I hope people who don't know Flatt and Scruggs hear this and think it's totally new music," Douglas said. "Then, I hope they find out what we're doing and go out and buy every Flatt and Scruggs record they can find."
The track list is:
1. The Train That Carried My Girl from Town (2:46)
2. Why Did You Wander? (2:49)
3. All I Want Is You (3:04)
4. Steel Guitar Blues intro (0:10)
5. Steel Guitar Blues (2:35)
6. You Can Feel It in Your Soul (3:02)
7. A Faded Red Ribbon (2:48)
8. Just Ain't (2:14)
9. Mother Prays Loud In Her Sleep (3:33)
10. I'm Working On A Road (To Glory Land) (3:00)
11. Will You Be Lonesome Too? (3:04)
12. Flint Hill Special (2:38)
13. What's Good for You (Should Be Alright for Me) (2:44)
14. The Girl I Love Don't Pay Me No Mind (2:50)
15. Branded Wherever I Go (2:33)
16. Buck Creek Gal (1:29)
17. Pray For the Boys (3:00)
Tour dates are:
May 1 - Stagecoach Festival Indio, CA
May 26-29 - Delfest Cumberland, MD
June 3 - Bluegrass on the Plains Festival Auburn, AL
July 15 Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival Owensboro, KY
July 29 Rockygrass Festival Oak Hill, NY
Sept. 9-10 Mountain Song Festival Lyons, CO
Sept. 16 Dailey Vincent Land Fest Stony Plain, AB
10/15 Bloomin Bluegrass Flagstaff, AZ
More dates will be announced.