Monday, April 20, 2015
– Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson appear to be acknowledging the April 20, aka 420, the day promoting marijuana usage, with the release of their single and video "It's All Going to Pot," by Legacy Recordings.
Based in Texas swing, hooks and sing-a-long lyrics about an emerging 21st century cannabis culture, "It's All Going to Pot" offers a first taste of "Django and Jimmie," due later this spring.
"It's All Going to Pot" was co-written by Buddy Cannon, producer of the album.
The music video for "It's All Going to Pot" captures the free-spirited in-the-studio atmosphere of the three and band laying down the song. "Willie sang like he was a teenager," said Haggard after the "Django and Jimmie" sessions.
The disc is Nelson's sixth for Legacy since inking a 2012 deal.
Nelson and Haggard previously released "Pancho & Lefty," a honky-tonk hit in January 1983.
They also recorded 1987's "Seashores Of Old Mexico" album, 2007's double album "Last Of The Breed" with Ray Price, the Merle Haggard-penned "A Horse Called Music" (the lead track on 2012's "Heroes," Nelson's first album for Legacy.
Songs on the CD are:
1. Django and Jimmie - written by Jimmy Melton and Jeff Prince
2. It's All Going To Pot - written by Buddy Cannon, Jamey Johnson and Larry Shell
3. Unfair Weather Friend - written by Marla Cannon-Goodman and Ward Davis
4. Missing Ol' Johnny Cash - written by Merle Haggard
5. Live This Long - written by Shawn Camp and Marv Green
6. Alice In Hulaland - written by Willie Nelson and Buddy Cannon
7. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - written by Bob Dylan
8. Family Bible - written by Walter M. Breeland, Paul F. Buskirk, and Claude Gray
9. It's Only Money - written by Willie Nelson and Buddy Cannon
10. Swinging Doors - written by Merle Haggard
11. Where Dreams Come To Die - written by Willie Nelson and Buddy Cannon
12. Somewhere Between - written by Merle Haggard
13. Driving The Herd - written by Willie Nelson and Buddy Cannon
14. The Only Man Wilder Than Me - written by Merle Haggard