Wednesday, March 25, 2015
– Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell's will release a second album together, "The Traveling Kind," on May 12 on Nonesuch Records.
Rolling Stone premiered the title track today.,
Produced by Grammy Award winner Joe Henry (Billy Bragg, Elvis Costello, Aimee Mann), "The Traveling Kind" includes 11 duet tracks, including 6 new songs written by Harris and Crowell with co-writing by Mary Carr, Cory Chisel, Will Jennings, and Larry Klein.
The disc also features new renditions of previous Crowell cuts including "No Memories Hanging Around" as well as new interpretations of Lucinda Williams' "I Just Wanted to See You So Bad" and Amy Allison's "Her Hair Was Red."
The new release follows the longtime friends' first duet album, 2013's "Old Yellow Moon," which won Best Americana Album at the 56th annual Grammy Awards as well as two awards at the 2013 Americana Music Association Honors & Awards Show for Album of the Year and Duo/Group of the Year.
Harris and Crowell will play shows in support of the record this May, including in San Francisco, Napa, Cal., Chicago, New York and Nashville.
"In the words of Willie Nelson, 'The life I love is making music with my friends,' and there's no better friend for me to make music with than Rodney," Harris said. "I can't wait to get out there on the road with him and play the songs from this new record."
Crowell said, "Emmy and I co-wrote 6 of the 11 songs on The Traveling Kind, which was recorded in a six-day span with our Glory Band, Steuart Smith and Billy Payne. Joe Henry was at the helm as producer and Justin Neibank did the recording. The experience was pretty much akin to falling off a log."
Songs on the CD are:
1. The Traveling Kind (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris/Cory Chisel)
2. No Memories Hanging Around (Rodney Crowell)
3. Bring It on Home to Memphis (Rodney Crowell/Larry Klein)
4. You Can't Say We Didn't Try (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris/Cory Chisel)
5. The Weight of the World (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris)
6. Higher Mountains (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris/Will Jennings)
7. I Just Wanted to See You So Bad (Lucinda Williams)
8. Just Pleasing You (Rodney Crowell/Mary Carr)
9. If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris)
10. Her Hair Was Red (Amy Allison)
11. La Danse de la Joie (Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris/Will Jennings)
Tour dates are:
May 7 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
May 8 Napa, CA City Winery
May 10 Chicago, IL City Winery
May 21 New York, NY City Winery
May 26-27 Nashville, TN City Winery