Monday, September 11, 2023
– Dustin Lynch is at a crossroads with his upcoming sixth studio disc, "Killed the Cowboy," out Sept. 29 on Broken Bow.
At 38 and single, Lynch said he's trying to figure out his future.
"When I'm off the road and working on my farm, I have a lot of inner dialogue. It's a boxing match inside of me, between living in the moment and enjoying where I am, versus what's the best version of me five, 10, or 20 years down the road," Lynch said. "What do I want to be? What do I want life to look like? Who do I want to be around? 'Killed The Cowboy' is that back-and-forth. It's me asking myself, 'Am I okay? Or am I weird for not having found my person yet? And is she even out there?' My hope is that this album finds someone who needs to hear it. I want 'Killed The Cowboy' to embrace the single people of the world and lift them up, to let them know that you don't have to live a 'normal' life to still be happy in your own skin."
His 12-track journey – with five to his songwriting credit – includes"Chevrolet," a rocker with Lynch's labelmate Jelly Roll.
The title track, penned by Jordan Reynolds, Devin Dawson and Anderson East, came out Friday. "When I first heard 'Killed The Cowboy,' I was drawn to its haunting melody, and then I got to thinking about the lyric and realized, 'Damn, I'm this guy right now in my life,'" said Lynch. "Relationships can come in hot and heavy and then implode. But that heartbreak, in a weird way, also makes you feel alive, to have another person move you like that. You feel that roller coaster of emotion and passion, and that sparks me creatively as an artist."
The track list is:
1. "Killed The Cowboy" (Jordan Reynolds, Devin Dawson, Anderson East)*
2. "Honky Tonk Heartbreaker" (Dustin Lynch, Hunter Phelps, Zach Crowell, Ben Johnson)+
3. "George Strait Jr." (Dustin Lynch, Hunter Phelps, Jordan Reynolds, Andy Albert)*
4. "Chevrolet (featuring Jelly Roll)" (Chase McGill, Jessi Alexander, Hunter Phelps, Mentor Williams)^
5. "If I Stop Drinkin'" (John Morgan, Dallas Davidson, Kyle Fishman, Jordan Minton)*
6. "Only Girl In This Town" (Devin Dawson, Josh Thompson, Kyle Fishman)#
7. "Breakin' Up Down" (Hunter Phelps, Zach Crowell, Blake Pendergrass, Brent Anderson)*
8. "Trouble With This Truck" (Dustin Lynch, Hunter Phelps, Ashley Gorley, Zach Crowell)*
9. "Blue Lights" (Jameson Rodgers, Jake Mitchell, Brent Anderson, Hunter Phelps)*
10. "Lone Star" (Devin Dawson, Jordan Reynolds, Alysa Vanderheym)*
11. "Listen To The Radio" (Dustin Lynch, Hunter Phelps, Randy Montana, Ben Johnson)*
12. "Long Way Home" (Dustin Lynch, Kyle Fishman, Andy Albert)*
* Produced by Zach Crowell
+ Co-Produced by Zach Crowell and Ben Johnson
^ Co-Produced by Zach Crowell and Ben Phillips
# Co-Produced by Zach Crowell and Kyle Fishman
The upcoming release is the follow-up to "Blue In The Sky," Lynch's 2022 release, which included history-making "Thinking 'Bout You (featuring MacKenzie Porter)." The PLATINUM, six-week number one collaboration remains the longest-running Top 10 single in Billboard Country Airplay chart history at 28 weeks. The release also featured hit "Party Mode" and the singer's latest chart-rising single, "Stars Like Confetti."