Wednesday, June 8, 2022
– Songwriter Nicolle Galyon will release her debut disc, "first born," on July 22 on her own label, Songs & Daughters.
The lead track, "winner.," was released on Monday.
"firstborn" is Galyon's life story in song form. The project, which will also include a complete visual component, is a musical memoir. Produced by King Henry and Jimmy Robbins, the 11-track album includes songwriting collaborations with Robbins, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne, Sasha Sloan, Kelsea Ballerini, Hillary Lindsey, Emily Weisband and Rodney Clawson.
"Everything and everyone is born of something born before them. At the height of my career, I started to take inventory on my life's work, and in doing so I realized I was spending most of my creativity invested in the narrative of those that came after me. My children. Songs. The record label. The next generation of artists. My marriage. Friendships. All for the future. But as Shakespeare said, 'the past is prologue' and my life was a part of the prologue to all of these stories. If it all ended tomorrow, would my children understand why I was the way I was? If it all ended tomorrow, would the songs I helped others write suffice as the playlist of my lifetime? How could I justify my calling as a storyteller without ever having told my own? So, on my 20th year in Nashville, on my 38th birthday, this is my first try at a first record, in first person...because before I could truly live this one beautiful life, I had to be...firstborn."
Regarding "winner.," which was written with McAnally and Osborne, Galyon said, "I guess everything that's born must be given a name. Mine is ironic. A surprise pregnancy dropped my mom right out of junior college and landed her at her grandmother's house two states away to figure out what to do next. I guess when that's the opening scene of your story... you tend to overcompensate. Especially when you're born in a town called Winner (South Dakota)."
Raised in Sterling, Kansas and now based in Nashville, Galyon has written nine number one singles including Miranda Lambert's ACM Award-winning "Automatic" and Dan + Shay's multi-platinum, ACM Award-winning "Tequila." She's also received a Grammy and CMA Awards nomination and was honored by BMI as their 2019 Songwriter of the Year.
Galyon founded the female-focused label and publishing house, Songs & Daughters, in partnership with Big Loud in 2019, which includes artists Hailey Whitters, Tiera Kennedy, Madison Kozak and Lauren Watkins.
The track list is:
1. winner. (Nicolle Galyon, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
2. sunflower. (Nicolle Galyon, Jimmy Robbins, Sasha Sloan)
3. boy crazy. (Nicolle Galyon, Kelsea Ballerini, Hillary Lindsey)
disneyworld. (Nicolle Galyon, Sasha Sloan)
5. consequences. (Nicolle Galyon, Emily Weisband, Amy Wadge, Camila Cabello)
6. self care. (Nicolle Galyon, Sasha Sloan, Caroline Baker)
7. boy. (Nicolle Galyon, Jon Nite)
8. tendencies. (Nicolle Galyon, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne, Cooper Galyon)
9. five year plan. (Nicolle Galyon, Rodney Clawson)
10. younger woman. (Nicolle Galyon, Hillary Lindsey)
11. death bed. (Nicolle Galyon, Sasha Sloan, Jimmy Robbins)