Friday, November 6, 2020
– A lifelong bluegrass and country music fan, Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees, has long dreamed of a project that would bring him together with some of the artists he admires the most.
The result is "Greenfields: The Gibb Brothers Songbook, Vol. 1," out Jan. 8 on Capitol Records.
The 12-song disc features collaborations with Alison Krauss, Brandi Carlile, David Rawlings, Dolly Parton, Gillian Welch, Jason Isbell, Jay Buchanan of rock band Rival Sons, Keith Urban, Little Big Town, Miranda Lambert, Olivia Newton-John, Sheryl Crow and Tommy Emmanuel, an Australian guitarist. Dave Cobb, who has worked with Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson, produced.
"Words of a Fool," featuring Isbell, is out today.
Gibbs said, "From the first day we stepped into RCA Studios in Nashville, the album took on a life of its own. I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity to work with Dave and all the artists who stopped by. They were all incredibly generous with their time and talent. They inspired me more than words can express. I feel deep down that Maurice and Robin would have loved this album for different reasons. I wish we could have all been together to do it, but I think we were."
Cobbs said, "It was truly an honor to work with one of my heroes. The Bee Gees' first album has always been a staple for me, and it was surreal to get to witness the genius of Barry Gibb in the studio. He's one of the greatest of all time."
"Barry Gibb is one of the greatest songwriters and singers in popular music history, and I'm happy to say he still has that beautiful voice and that magical sense of melody," Isbell said. "Working with him on this project has been one of the great honors of my career. He's a prince."
The track list is:
1. "I've Gotta Get A Message To You" with Keith Urban
2. "Words of a Fool" with Jason Isbell
3. "Run to Me" with Brandi Carlile
4. "Too Much Heaven" with Alison Krauss
5. "Lonely Days" with Little Big Town
6. "Words" with Dolly Parton
7. "Jive Talkin'" with Miranda Lambert, Jay Buchanan
8. "How Deep Is Your Love" with Tommy Emanuel, Little Big Town
9. "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" with Sheryl Crow
10. "To Love Somebody" with Jay Buchanan
11. "Rest Your Love On Me" with Olivia Newton-John
12. "Butterfly" with Gillian Welch, David Rawlings