Thursday, June 25, 2020
– Lindsay Ell announced today that her sophomore album, "heart theory," is coming Aug. 15.
The first song released is "wAnt me back," which was co-written with Kane Brown, Matt McGinn and Lindsay Rimes.
"heart theory," Ell's first album since "The Project" in 2017, is a personal concept album comprised of 12 tracks that journey through each stage of grief: shock, denial, anger, bargaining, depression, testing and acceptance. Ell co-wrote 11 of the songs, enlisting help from Tyler Hubbard of Florida Georgia Line and Brandy Clark.
"If theory is the science of music, heart theory is the science of a heart," Ell said. "I hope this road map can be a comfort if you need it, reassurance when you need to remember to believe in yourself or maybe just a glimpse into a memory that's made you who you are."
The concept of heart theory extends to every aspect of the album - its cover art features the spectrum of corresponding colors to each stage, mirroring the music's movement itself from dark to light, while its tracklist subtly reveals the album title through use of seemingly random capitalization.
Due to quarantine, Ell completed heart theory with producer Dann Huff from a distance and two different locations. Ell takes the unique challenge posed by the pandemic to almost every element of album completion in stride: "If my last record was called 'The Project,' this could be called 'The Process.'"
The track listing is:
a journey through the seven stages of grief
1. "Hits me" (Lindsay Ell, Tyler Hubbard, Corey Crowder)
2. "how good" (Lindsay Ell, Brandy Clark)
3. "i don't lovE you" (Adam Hambrick, Melissa Fuller, Neil Medley)
4. "wAnt me back" (Lindsay Ell, Kane Brown, Matt McGinn, Lindsay Rimes)
5. "get oveR you" (Lindsay Ell, Gordie Sampson, Kelly Archer)
6. "wrong girl" (Lindsay Ell, Steph Jones, Matt McGinn, Luke Niccoli)
7. "body language of a breakup" (Lindsay Ell, Laura Veltz, Sam Ellis)
8. "good on you" (Lindsay Ell, Sam Ellis, Micah Premnath)
9. "The oTHEr side" (Lindsay Ell, Jessie Jo Dillon, Matt McGinn)
10. "gO to" (Lindsay Ell, Nicolle Gaylon, Jordan Reynolds)
11. "make you" (Lindsay Ell, Brandy Clark)
12. "ReadY to love" (Lindsay Ell, Jessie Jo Dillon, Matt McGinn, Joey Hyde)