Friday, February 21, 2020
– The ever prolific Willie Nelson returns with "First Rose Of Spring" on April 24, five days before his 87th birthday.
The disc is Nelson's 70th solo studio album and 14th for Sony Legacy Records. The title track and the "First Rose Of Spring" music video are being released today.
"First Rose Of Spring" is Nelon's first new release since winning the 2020 Best Country Solo Performance Grammy Award, his Willie's 10th overall, not including his Grammy Legend and Lifetime Achievement Awards, for "Ride Me Back Home," the title track from his 2019 Legacy Recordings release. The previous year, "My Way," Nelson's musical homage to Frank Sinatra took home the Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album.
Premiering 11 new Willie Nelson studio performances and featuring original artwork created by Nelson's son Micah, Nelson again worked with producer Buddyy Cannon and debuts two new songs co-written by the pair: "Blue Star" and "Love Just Laughed."
Nelson also covered Toby Keith ("Don't Let The Old Man In"), Billy Joe Shaver ("We Are The Cowboys") and Pete Graves ("Just Bummin' Around" - a song recorded by Jimmy Dean, Dean Martin and others).
Nelson offers "Our Song," a new composition by Chris Stapleton. Willie Nelson & Family will appear as special guests on Chris Stapleton's "All-American Roadshow" at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas on March 14 and "A Concert for Kentucky" at Kroger Field in Lexington, Ky. on April 25.
Closing the release is Nelson's offering of Charles Aznavour's "Hier encore," a 1964 song that became an American country classic (and Roy Clark's biggest hit) as "Yesterday When I Was Young" (English lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer) in 1969 and, over the years, became a standard performed by Bing Crosby, Shirley Bassey, Dusty Springfield, Mel Tormé, Jack Jones, Lena Horne, Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, Julio Iglesias, Johnny Mathis and Elton John.
The track listing is:
1. First Rose Of Spring (Randy Houser, Allen Shamblin & Mark Beeson)
2. Blue Star (Willie Nelson & Buddy Cannon)
3. I'll Break Out Again Tonight (Sanger "Whitey" Shafer & Doodle Owens)
4. Don't Let The Old Man In (Toby Keith)
5. Just Bummin' Around (Pete Graves)
6. Our Song (Chris Stapleton)
7. We Are The Cowboys (Billy Joe Shaver)
8. Stealing Home (Marla Cannon-Goodman, Casey Beathard & Don Sampson)
9. I'm The Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised (Wayne Kemp, Bobby Borchers & Mack Vickery)
10. Love Just Laughed (Willie Nelson & Buddy Cannon)
11. Yesterday When I Was Young (Hier Encore) (Charles Aznavour & Herbert Kretzmer)