Friday, January 10, 2020
– The ever prolific Jim Lauderdale announced today he would release his 33rd album, "When Carolina Comes Homes Again," on March 6 on Yep Roc Records.
The first single, "As A Sign," co-written with the late Robert Hunter, is now available at all digital platforms.
Returning to his geographical and musical roots, the 13-track bluegrass album pays homage to his native North Carolina and harkens back to the earliest music he learned to play. Recorded at Echo Mountain Recording in Asheville, N.C., the album features instrumental accompaniment from various members of North Carolina-based acts, including Balsam Range, Cane Mill Road, Hank Pattie & the Current, John Stickley,, Songs From The Road Band, Steep Canyon Rangers, and Town Mountain; as well as Matt Pruett (banjo); Pattie Hopkins Kinlaw (fiddle); Aaron Ramsey (mandolin); Nick Dauphinais and Presley Barker on guitars.
"North Carolina has such a long and important heritage in bluegrass music," Lauderdale said. "Since it's where I'm originally from and where I started playing bluegrass, it seemed right to go back to my roots in bluegrass there and collaborate with musicians in that area. There's just something in the atmosphere there. Hearing bluegrass in different areas and settings in North Carolina, the music is just there in the air. The first bluegrass festival I ever went to was Union Grove when I was 14, and it blew my mind. The music got into my bones, and I just had to get a banjo."
Lauderdale also will hit the road with West Coast dates in May and more extensive touring later.
"After the experience of taking 'From Another World' around the world and back," said Lauderdale, "getting to play with all these different musicians and to such a variety of audiences, I can't wait to bring the tour out West."
"One thing I'm looking forward to doing in these shows is paying tribute to my late friend, hero, and co-writer Robert Hunter. We're going to do a mini-set of some of my favorite songs he and I wrote together, our way of bringing his spirit to the stage each night," said Lauderdale.
Lauderdale will be joined on tour by special guest Imogen Clark, an Australian singer-songwriter. She toured the East Coast with Clare Bowen earlier this year and has performed at the Americana Music Festival in Nashville.
Tour dates are:
May 3 -- TBC - Kansas City, MO
May 6 - Tractor Tavern - Seattle, WA
May 7 - White Eagle Saloon - Portland, OR
May 9 - Domino Room - Bend, OR
May 10 - Goldfield Trading Post - Sacramento, CA
May 14 - The Wayfarer - Costa Mesa, CA
May 15 - Zebulon - Los Angeles, CA
May 16 - Hotel Congress - Tucson, AZ
The track listing is:
1. When Carolina Comes Home Again - John Oates & Jim Lauderdale
2. As A Sign - Robert Hunter & Jim Lauderdale
3. Misery's Embrace - Charles R. Humphrey III & Jim Lauderdale
4. The Last To Know - Charles R. Humphrey III & Jim Lauderdale
5. It Takes One To Wonder - Graham Sharp & Jim Lauderdale
6. Cackalacky - Si Kahn & Jim Lauderdale
7. You'll Have To Earn It - Charles R. Humphrey III & Jim Lauderdale
8. You've Got This - Jim Lauderdale
9. Mountaineer - Jim Lauderdale
10. I'm Here To Remind You - Sara Douga & Jim Lauderdale
11. Moonrider - Jim Lauderdale
12. Spin A Yarn - Jim Lauderdale
13. Better Than You Found It - Logan Ledger & Jim Lauderdale
In addition to his own career, Lauderdale has penned songs for George Strait, the Dixie Chicks, Patty Loveless, Lee Ann Womack, Blake Shelton, Solomon Burke, Gary Allan and Vince Gill.