Wednesday, June 6, 2018
– Jason Isbell will see his 2007 album, "Sirens Of The Ditch," release in a deluxe edition on July 13 by New West.
Co-produced by Isbell and his former Drive-By Truckers band mate, Patterson Hood, "Sirens Of The Ditch" was recorded at the FAME recording studio (Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett) in Isbell's hometown of Muscle Shoals, Ala.
"A lot of old soul musicians came through here in the late '60s and '70s and helped define the Muscle Shoals sound, so that influence was always in my environment, but on this record I really tried to capture that," Isbell said in the album's original press release\
On the deluxe edition, Isbell is joined by Brad Morgan of the Drive-By Truckers on drums, and former Drive-By Truckers member, Shonna Tucker on bass. Several musicians pop in for cameos including the iconic Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section players David Hood (Patterson's father) and Spooner Oldham on "Down In A Hole," John Neff of Drive-By Truckers on "Dress Blues," and Patterson Hood on "Shotgun Wedding."
The upcoming release features four previously unreleased songs from the original sessions at FAME, bringing the new, expanded track listing to 15 total songs. Two of the unreleased tracks came out today, including the Patterson Hood penned "The Assassin," which Isbell performs in concert to this day, and "Whisper" on NPR Radio.
The track listing is:
1. Brand New Kind Of Actress
2. Down In A Hole
4. Chicago Promenade
5. Dress Blues
7. Hurricanes and Hand Grenades
8. In A Razor Town
9. Shotgun Wedding
10. The Magician
11. The Devil Is My Running Mate
12. Whisper (Previously Unreleased)
13. Crystal Clear (Previously Unreleased)
14. The Assassin (Previously Unreleased)
15. Racetrack Romeo (Previously Unreleased)