Articles and Interviews
Merle Haggard calls his latest album "Haggard Like Never Before," but he's not slowing down, nor has he completely tamed his well-publicized fighting side. Let's face it: far too many artists put it into autopilot, so to speak, once they reach their twilight years. But Haggard clearly never got that cautionary little memo; he's still adding to his legacy by writing and recording new songs and not nearly ready to stop and rest on his laurels. With this in mind, the "Haggard" in his album title should be read as a noun, not an adjective. ...
The past year has easily been one of the most prolific of Merle Haggard's long career. The release of last year's critically acclaimed "If I Could Only Fly" on the L.A.-based Anti/Epitaph label was accompanied by a number of self-released projects, including "Cabin In the Hills" (a gospel album), "Two Old Friends" (an album of duets with Albert Brumley Jr., son of the famous gospel composer) and "California Blend," a more recent collaboration with old friend Chester Smith. ...
"Leaving's getting harder all the time, staying home hangs heavy on my mind," Merle Haggard sings on his new album, "If I Could Only Fly" (Anti Records). Still, the song continues, "If I don't travel, I don't make a dime," and so the legendary singer and songwriter is aboard his bus once again, on his way to Nashville at the start of yet another two-week tour. "I really have never quit," the 63-year-old Haggard notes. "I do about half the possible time on the road. We'll be out here about ...
He's one of the all-time greatest country music performers and songwriters, but Merle Haggard has kept a pretty low profile the past few years. That's all changed in recent months. The release of "For The Record," a double CD featuring new recordings of 43 of his biggest hits, called attention to itself by including duets with hot acts like Jewel and Alabama. A pay-per-view special from Las Vegas garnered more attention. And Hag's second autobiography is being released. "It was all planned at a meeting in January to stimulate the buying base of Merle Haggard," says the Hag. "It's the cross-grid marketing of today." ...
Editorials and Country Musings
This column is being written during the first 100 days of Barack Obama's presidency, in a weird national mixture of hope and fear, the likes of which haven't been since the days of the great D-word back in the 1930's. All of which makes me want to write another political column. And that series of loud sounds you just heard? That was editor Jeff Remz bursting a blood vessel, banging his fist on his desk and shouting "Over my dead body!" Don't worry, Jeff; I'm tempted, but I'm not going to wax political. I know how divisive politics are these days, and I don't want to alienate any readers. ...
I should know better by now. In fact, I do know better. I know they're lying when they try to lure me in, promising it'll be different this time. I'm completely onto their game. But somehow or other I fall for it time and again. No, I'm not talking about Sarah Evans inviting my wife and me over for another "quiet, wholesome" evening at home. I'm talking about those damn lists that media people love to make, especially at this time of year. The latest one to roil my blood pressure is Time ...
- Hag concert tribute release coming in December (Nov 2020)
- Keith, Alabama join Hag tribute show (Mar 2017)
- All-star concert set to pay homage to The Hag (Feb 2017)
- Songwriter, producer Freddie Powers dies (Jun 2016)
- The Hag releases final song (May 2016)
- All for the Hall benefit raises $712K (Apr 2016)
- Country performers pay homage to The Hag (Apr 2016)
- The Hag dies at 79 (Apr 2016)
- The Hag stays off the road (Mar 2016)
- The Hag cancels shows due to pneumonia (Mar 2016)
- The Hag returns to the road after illness (Feb 2016)
- Willie & The Hag top Billboard (Jun 2015)
- Hag, Willie score top 10 (Jun 2015)
- Nelson, Hag go up in smoke on 420 (Apr 2015)
- Hag's "Okie From Muskogee" gets reissued with bonus (Mar 2014)
- Gill, Franklin pay tribute to Buck, The Hag with new CD (Jun 2013)
- Capitol reissues four key albums on vinyl: Hag, Jackson, Rogers, Campbell (Feb 2013)
- Haggard sets return to stage (Feb 2012)
- Haggard sick with pneumonia (Jan 2012)
- The Hag plans new release (Jul 2011)
- Kennedy Honors event honoring Haggard airs tonight (Dec 2010)
- The Hag receives Kennedy Center Honor (Dec 2010)
- The Hag resumes touring after illness (Nov 2010)
- Kennedy Center honors The Hag (Sep 2010)
- Hag hangs with Dave (Aug 2010)
- The Hag sells (Apr 2010)
- The Hag goes to Vanguard (Feb 2010)
- Haggard closes new Moore documentary (Oct 2009)
- Rising stars salute ACM winners (Sep 2009)
- Ailment causes Haggard to cancel five shows (Jul 2009)
- Haggard receives honor (Mar 2009)
- Merle Haggard returns to stage for first time after cancer surgery (Jan 2009)
- Merle Haggard discharged from hospital following cancer surgery (Nov 2008)
- Merle Haggard recovers from cancer (Nov 2008)
- Country Radio Broadcasters honor Merle Haggard, Shelia Shipley Biddy (Nov 2008)
- Haggard gets tribute treatment from ex-wife, Leona Williams (Jun 2008)
- Merle Haggard goes to number one (Oct 2007)
- Merle Haggard goes bluegrass (Jul 2007)
- "The Bluegrass Sessions" from Merle Haggard are coming (May 2007)
- Haggard/Nelson/Price and Skaggs/Hornsby release new discs (Mar 2007)
- The Hag, Willie and Ray Price join forces (Jan 2007)